Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hat & Heel Heaven

The Hubs and I are just recovering from our recent visit to Hat & Heel Heaven. Some of you might know it as the Kentucky Derby. I heard there were some horses and betting involved. Wonderman/Hubs knows more about the betting. I was too busy slobbering over all the amazing hats and heels and dresses and people. Yes, I watched the horses and those tiny little people on their backs run around the track. Couldn't help it - we had amazing box seats on the grass - eye level with the thunder of those beasts and riders all decked out in a rainbow of colors. While the horses were resting, we could turn the other way and watch the sea of humanity in the famous infield. Our box was right on top of the tunnel that everyone entering the infield suites and well the field had to go through. I never got tired of watching the hats, the people and the people staggering around. That would be the fault of too many mint juleps. Lucky for me these are an acquired taste. I never acquired a taste for bourbon. I prefer my mint with chocolate. Add some chocolate to the julep and I'd be staggering with the rest of them. Back to the hats. I spend about 4 days out of 7 wearing a baseball hat due to tennis or walking or just being too lazy to dry my hair. Washing is easy, it's the drying that takes forever and a lot of arm muscle. I am also fond of wearing hats at the pool. I have more than one straw hat for that. I have even managed to limit myself to one really cute cowboy hat. I do live in Texas after all. The count is slightly higher on cowboy boots. Oddly enough at the Derby boots are not so much in demand. I was told by my Derby experts that heels would be required at all events. Now I have heels. Love my heels. Wonderman really loves my heels. My heels just don't always love me. Or my feet. Most of my heels only leave my closet to go to dinner. Dinner that involves a fancy place with valet parking. So yes, the thought of wearing heels to events that involved actually walking great distances and standing in them for hours had me slightly freaked out. But, I was determined to suck it up and walk proud with my sisters. No one ever said beauty didn't have a price. Back to the hats - It is all about the hats at Hat Heaven. Cisco set us up with Hats by Dee. They have been making hats in Louisville forever. They were so easy to work with online and over the phone. Did I mention I LOVE hats??? I was in Hat Heaven all day. Could not stop admiring all the hats around me or even pick out one to be my favorite. Just too many to admire and choose from. I even managed to wear my heels without too much agony. Lucky for me our amazing event crew - Back 9 Promotions - did an excellent job for us/Cisco and our guests. This was not their first time at this dog and pony show. They provided flip flops for all the girls and our barking dogs. After a couple of hours, all but a few of us were proudly strutting back to the motor coach - fancy for bus - carrying our fabulous shoes, while enjoying the comfort of our flip flops. I'm not saying I didn't leave the weekend without a few blisters. I did. I also met some really amazing new people and got to know some friends even better. We were also thrilled to meet Bob Evans, Chairman and CEO of Churchill Downs. Through him we were so honored to meet Dakota Meyer, Marine Medal of Honor Recipient. As for the horses - they were beautiful and fierce. The Derby is truly a bucket list event. We were so blessed to be there. My heels are back in the closet and my hats arrived home today by UPS and with a little help from my new friend Jan. I am fighting the urge to wear them while running errands. I guess I really should just go with the baseball cap for that. Still. Hat & Heel withdrawal isn't easy. Till next year....in the mean time - here is a drink that I do like...Let's call it the Skinny GirlyGirl Beerita : one can of Bacardi's frozen margarita mix, 4- 6 lite beers & one packet of crystal lite drink mix, tequila to your tasting - mix and pour!! Cheers to beeritas, hats & heels!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment